While IT certifications may not be essential for a career in IT, they hold significant value and can greatly contribute to your professional journey.
In a fiercely competitive job market, these certifications serve as credentials that validate your skills and expertise, giving you an edge over other candidates.
Whether you are an experienced professional seeking to advance your career or a newcomer aspiring to enter the industry, acquiring IT certifications can be a transformative step that propels you towards success.
In this blog post, we will dive deeper into the benefits that IT certifications provide and list a handful of valuable certifications that are in-demand today.
The Benefits of IT Certifications
Validation of Skills
IT certifications validate your knowledge and skills, assuring employers that you possess the necessary expertise to perform the job effectively.
Most IT certifications validate your skills through a rigorous process that typically includes comprehensive studying, hands-on experience, and passing standardized exams.
This validation boosts confidence in your abilities, making you a more credible and attractive candidate in the eyes of employers.
IT certifications are developed and administered by reputable organizations who are considered experts in their respective fields. Having these certifications listed on your resume can grab the attention of hiring managers and increase your chances of being selected for a job interview.
Many IT certifications are also backed by specific companies, so anywhere that company has a large presence in the market (e.g., Amazon and an AWS certification), those certifications would be of significant value.
In a highly competitive job market, certifications can give you a distinct advantage over other candidates. They help to differentiate you from the crowd and make your resume stand out.
They also showcase your dedication to your craft and impress upon employers your desire for professional growth.
Career Advancement Opportunities
IT certifications can also significantly enhance your career advancement prospects and open doors to higher-level job roles.
And while certifications don’t necessarily translate to salary increases, studies have shown that, on average, IT certified professionals do earn more than their uncertified counterparts.
Professional Networking Opportunities
While in pursuit of an IT certification, you will be connected with a vast network of professionals in the IT industry. Many certification programs offer forums, online communities, and networking events where you can interact with experts, share knowledge, and build relationships.
These connections can then lead to mentorship opportunities and even job referrals.
The Top IT Certifications Sought After in 2023
For those just embarking on their IT career, these are some common IT certifications designed to prepare you for entry-level positions in IT.
- CompTIA A+
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
- CompTIA Security+
- Microsoft Fundamentals
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) Cloud Practitioner
- CompTIA IT Fundamentals (ITF+)
- CompTIA Network+
- GIAC Information Security Fundamentals (GISF)
- Google Cloud Digital Leader
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)
And for those who already have established IT careers, these are the certifications that can lead to bigger paydays.
- Google Cloud Digital Leader (it has already been mentioned but since the course is aimed at business professionals and decision-makers, it lacks prerequisites)
- Microsoft Certified – Azure Solutions Architect Expert
- Nutanix Certified Professional – Multicloud Infrastructure (NCP-MCI)
- PMP – Project Management Professional
- AWS Certified Security – Specialty
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate
- CISSP – Certified Information Systems Security Professional
- Google Cloud – Professional Cloud Architect
- CISM – Certified Information Security Manager
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Professional